Thursday, September 18, 2008

Niche Reseach Made Easy

Coming up with a hot selling niche is something many people new to IM struggle with. However, if you follow my system, you will be nailing niches left and right in no time!


Gather Your Tools

There is really only one tool that you need for this, and that is your brain! So put away those expensive tools, and get ready to think!

There may be few other optional tools that can help you along, especially if you are really stuck. Magazines, tv ad's, radio ad's, browsing at walmart, etc. I would try to only use these if your stuck.

The reason I say this is because the type of thinking that I am going to show you will help you get into the customers mind; ad's and products DOESN'T get you into the mind of a customer, it just shows you things that people buy. Products can help jump start, but its not the most effective at helping you think like a customer.

So, ready to use that brain?


The Burning Question

The best way to find niches is to think about the burning questions that plague people everyday, questions like:

Can I get out of debt without filing for bankruptcy?
I keep getting weird phone calls, am I being stalked?

These are NOT burning questions:

Is this brand of toothpaste a good brand?
How reliable is this XXX?

The difference is this:

The first questions have a BURNING issue that raises emotion. Are they being stalked? They are afraid, they want answers, man if they had something that could help them out, they would buy!

The second set of questions is information seekers. They are thinking intelligently. You can sell to those questions, of course, but it's much MUCH harder. And those questions are not "niche" per se. They are what people ask when researching a product.

The niches that sell the most, and the quickest, are those with BURNING QUESTIONS wanting an answer now!

So, how do we find those niches? Next tab!


Listen The Questions

Close any tools you have, any websites open, any books or magazines, and open up notepad. We are going to sit and think.

Start off thinking about any time in your life that YOU had a burning question, something that really ate at you, something that sparked emotion.

For me, there was a time in my life where I honestly worried that I would never end up married. I felt doomed to be single. So what was my burning question? "Will I ever find a girlfriend/wife?" Seriously! That was one. And many guys/girls feel this.

What about other questions? Well, as a student, I think of this, especially before a test:

"How can I possibly memorize ALL these answers before this final exam?" Since finals were glaring down at me, I thought of this question a lot.

So start with those questions that YOU had in your life. This will get your brain in a "burning question" mode. Now, start thinking of others:

"How can I lose all this weight before my wedding day?"
"Am I really having a panic attack?"
"I feel depressed, is it just a phase or is there something wrong with me?"
"Is my husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend cheating on me?"
"My computer is acting weird all of a sudden, does it have a virus?"

Now, with this list in hand, we are going to analyze for a moment. Next tab!


Analyze The Niche

Now it is time to see if its a good niche that is profitable. Lets work with the "Can I lose weight before my wedding day?".

We are going to take this niche through Travis's 6 Niche Factors that ALL profitable niches have. Here they are:

1. Do they think about this problem/question a lot?
2. What is their emotional temperature?
3. What is the cost for this niche?
4. Do they talk about it a lot?
5. Are others making money from it?
6. What objections would they have?

So, what about "can i lose weight before my wedding day?"

1. Do they think about it? Well, the closer the wedding day, the more they will think about it! Go to a forum filled with women talking about weddings and I bet this will be in several discussions! So yup, its a big concern, so they think about it a lot!

2. Emotional Temperature? They are getting married! Emotions run high, they want to look good, they are worried, frustrated, etc. They want a solution. Yup, high emotional temperature.

3. The cost? Since they have a high emotional temperature, and they are willing to hand over thousands of dollars for a wedding, you can bet they will spend money to lose weight, if they have to!

4. Do they talk about it? Open a web browser and take a quick look through many forums dedicated to weddings, and you'll find TONS of women talking about it, so yes!

5. Are others making money from it? I did a quick google search for "lose weight before wedding" and the top ad was for weight watchers and it spun it like this:

Preparing for a Wedding?
Learn how Weight Watchers Can Help
You slim down for your big day.

There were others of course, and a few other quick keyword searches turned up more ads, so yup, others making money!

6. Now, the last one: What objections would people have? Many times this is a higher authority, like a doctor, lawyer, or TV celeb telling you something is better. Often it is just "I want free information".

This niche may have this objection of "free info". (women just wanting to know the quick ways to lose weight and don't want to pay for information) So keep that in mind if you decide to promote.

So, is this a good niche? You bet! Emotional women wanting to shed pounds desperately before a wedding day! Heck yes...I can hear the cash register ring sale sale sale...


Summary

So, here is what you do....

1. Make a list of as many "burning questions" as you can.
2. Take that list through the six factors of a profitable niche.
3. Identify any objections that you may encounter early.
4. Pick the best ones and start digging deeper!

I hope this short tutorial helps you with the hardest part of IM, finding that "starving crowd"

Good luck on your IM ventures!

-Rob-

No comments: